[CAUT] HT Recital

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Wed Apr 12 10:15:04 MDT 2006

Avery-

If you are wanting to include more "modern" instruments in your
temperament repertoire, the best advise is not to make a big deal out of
it.  It doesn't change your responsibility, and ultimately, it's really
not That big of a deal- at least not quite as big we like to believe.
As with new things in general, you probably will be surprised exactly
who notices, who appreciates it most, and also who doesn't.  Avoid
specific labels if you can.  Labels are almost always confusing and
incomplete- sometimes even dangerous.  If and when someone is interested
and ready for a technical discussion concerning the details of our
craft, they will let you know.  That's just my experience.

I was doing my own style for about 10 years before word finally came out
about it. This fact made my case stronger than anything I could possibly
have suggested or advised at the time. It's our job to do what we
consider to be the best solution for any given piano we are confronted
with, to take responsibility for that action....  and to try and have
fun doing it.

cheers,

dennis johnson
St. Olaf College