[CAUT] In need of Mason & Hamlin shift lever

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Sat Dec 2 14:10:25 MST 2006

Hi Jeannie and all,

I've come to this thread late, so I may be repeating info which may
already have been posted, however . . .

Most shift levers, with the exception of some more recent examples,
are made from cast iron. This material is very easy to weld with off
the shelf cast iron arc-welding rods (which use nickel as the filler
material). If you take the broken shift lever to any local welding
shop they should be able to fix it for you.

Broken cast iron pedals are also easy to weld. For those of you who
are busting to weld broken pedals yourself, here's a couple of tips.
Normally, when welding a broken item such as a sustain pedal, I grind
a 'V' to a depth of half the break depth to allow for the weld fillet
to be recessed into the lever cross section. After the first half of
the break-depth is welded, I grind a 'V' into the remaining half of
the break on the opposite side of the lever before running the final
weld seam. I usually clamp the lever straight for the first weld
seam. The lever will bend a little at the weld joint when it cools.
When welding the second seam I allow the lever to be free during the
welding process. The lever will usually pull straight as the second
weld seam cools. The excess filler metal can be ground to return the
lever to its original cross sectional dimensions.

Our 225 piano has a cast iron shift lever, and like most examples,
the original design of the lever is a pretty ordinary affair, which
results in the shift tongue pulling the key frame down towards the
key bed as the shift pedal is depressed. I rectify this problem by
cutting and welding the tongue in a new position.

Below is an image of a shift pedal for our 225 piano, cut and jigged
in its new position in preparation for being welded.

Below is an image of the shift lever after welding and finish
grinding. I've set the pedal up at the angle it will sit in the
piano, but inverted. This allows me to grind the leather pad mounting
surface so that the pad can sit square to the pedal rod. I also grind
the shift tongue and polish it so that it mates with the keyframe
without causing unnecessary wear.
Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY