[CAUT] Wapin Seminar Report

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Mon Dec 4 13:40:52 MST 2006

Hello all,

here are some photos from the recent Wapin installation seminar at Brandon
University.

You may recall my skepticism about Wapin. After reading the amazing claims
on the Wapin website, I e-mailed Tim Geinert and asked "are you willing to
prove it!?"

Even when he generously offered to travel here and answer my challenge, the
doubts remained... "is the piano going to sound wierd, will we need
scientific equipment to tell, or are we all just going to agree to "imagine"
what we hear.(!?)"

Fortunately the results were NOT subtle. The improvement I personally
witnessed in this piano was profound, more to the order of a transformation.

Every pianist, even those who had been quite vocal about their dislike for
this "plinky" instrument noticed it right away, without prompting... "it
lingers, what did you do to open the sound?..." Some were arrested within a
few bars, and one at the very first chord!

And as musicians do,  they all seemed to conveniently forget about the bad
regulation, wobbly keys and uneven voicing they had pointed out beforehand,
and zero in on something else, in fact the only "something else " that had
actually changed.  By their own words, this  "ugly" instrument went from
"unplayable" to "vibrant," and from "completely un-interesting" to
"wonderful," albeit within 24 hours!

For us technicians however, trying to desribe any improvement using the
tired old adjectives "warmer, richer, stronger, faster, etc." gets real lame
in a hurry. So I'll put it this way; when I install new hammers, or
deep-needle the shoulders, or carefully fit them to the strings, I have a
certain aural expectation in mind. Sometimes I'm pleased, sometimes
disappointed.

By comparison, the effect Wapin displayed on this instument would be greater
than my expectation of any of the three routines described above, and at
least equal to the combination of all three put together, in their perceived
ability to enhance a piano's sound. I hope this paints a helpful picture.

My humble recommendation...

If you're the type who prefers to wallow in the mild bemusement of actually
doing something, over the heady exhilaration of sublime speculation and
endless debate, find a profoundly disappointing instrument (preferably the
work of thine own hands) and try this Wapin thing out for yourself. Make
your own conclusions.

Retro-fitting is less work than a typical bridge-repinning, and I think they
even have a "how to" DVD. I'm sure the results will make this little
adventure more than worth your while.

As for the skeptic, well I've just ordered a Wapin license ($325.00 U.S.)
for the 1923 Mason & Hamlin A I'm currently rebuilding and intend to for the
1885 Steinway A, and possibly the 1912 B ... (I might occasionaly be cheap,
but I ain't stupid. ;>)

Finally, I have to express an overwhelming debt of gratitude to Tim Geinert.
Not just for the generousity of his time, and so capably sharing a valuable
skill, but for taking a disappointing piano within my care, and transforming
it to a musical level I had otherwise been unable to achieve.

Thanks Tim!

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

PS One strange thing; you can actually "feel the resonance" through the
keys. All the pianists noticed this. It's not in the least bit distracting,
actually we tend to think it's kind of cool!