[CAUT] Bridge pin removal

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Dec 15 12:06:20 MST 2006

Following up, my homemade vice grip slide hammer worked like a champ.
It planed off a good bit of the sides of the first bridge pin I tried
it on, showing me that I was dealing with epoxied pins, as I had
suspected. I ended up needing a good bit of heat (45 seconds with a
25 watt iron, getting the tops of three pins hot enough to boil
water), then a whack downward with my brass slide hammer (from
pianoforte supply) to break the glue joint, then they would yank out
with the vice grip slide hammer.
	End result: quite nice. Not perfect, but an enormous improvement.
Terminations are important <G>. The capo was pretty nasty as well. It
had been sharpened a la McMorrow, and had pretty deep grooves.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu