[CAUT] balancier/wippens report

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 17 16:36:06 MST 2006

At 08:14 AM 12/16/2006, you wrote:
>>Nothing I have tried seems to work. So for now, I give up. But if
>>anyone has another answer, I will be glad to try again.
>>
>>Wim
>>Willem Blees, RPT
>>Piano Tuner/Technician
>>School of Music
>>University of Alabama
>>Tuscaloosa, AL USA
>
>From: Jon Page <jonpage at comcast.net>
>To: caut at ptg.org
>Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:05:21 -0500
>Subject: [CAUT]  balancier/wippens report
>Message: 13
>
>What is the length of the tails and what is the condition of the buckskin?
>--
>
>Regards,
>
>Jon Page

Jon,

You may be on to something here. So far I had two Steinways with
seemingly "intractable" checking problems - one B at San Francisco
State and one D in a client's home. Everything mentioned on this list
in this thread was tried (and a few more things too), and nothing
seemed to work. Replacing the backchecks with the Tokiwa- made
old-style Steinway backchecks (longer) cleared up all the problems on
both pianos ($150/set, Pianotek). It seems that on a lot of them the
hammer tails are just too short for the new style, shorter backchecks...

Israel Stein