[CAUT] balancier/wippens report

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sun Dec 17 23:54:55 MST 2006

Israel -

Some questions interspersed -

At 06:36 PM 12/17/2006, you wrote:

>>What is the length of the tails and what is the condition of the buckskin?
>>--
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Jon Page
>
>Jon,
>
>You may be on to something here. So far I had two Steinways with
>seemingly "intractable" checking problems - one B at San Francisco
>State and one D in a client's home. Everything mentioned on this
>list in this thread was tried (and a few more things too),

Would you say what those more things were?

>and nothing seemed to work. Replacing the backchecks with the
>Tokiwa- made old-style Steinway backchecks (longer) cleared up all
>the problems on both pianos ($150/set, Pianotek). It seems that on a
>lot of them the hammer tails are just too short for the new style,
>shorter backchecks...
>
>Israel Stein

Israel - As with Wim - you also did not indicate the manufacturing
year of your pianos.  It's true that there was a period when the
tails were extremely short, but that's not too recent, in my
experience.  If it were only the height of the checks in relation to
the tails, why couldn't you simply raise the backchecks?  As an
experiment, it falls short of completely explaining the issue, since
there are undoubtedly differences in a number of characteristics
between the two brands.  Can you look at the two side by side and
compare them?

David Skolnik