[CAUT] balancier/wippens report

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Dec 18 17:31:51 MST 2006

At 03:37 PM 12/18/2006, David wrote:
>The pianist would have to work harder to restrain a "fly away"
>action.   To control the moment of hammer / string contact, the low
>friction unit would have to decelerate more than the tightly pinned one.
>
>How's that for unclear?

Unclear as mud. <grin> But I take your meaning about soft playing.
Too free does make soft playing harder.

I think that if you try firmer pinning on an action with very loose
(but not wobbling side to side) hammers, you will find that the
"flyaway action" tends to -- fly away, including flying out of the
back check's embrace.

It's true that the springs will be stronger when the hammer centers
are tighter for the same lift speed, but this really is a benefit,
because it speeds up the jack as well. And if one wishes to set the
springs as strong as they can be without the pianist being bothered
by the kick in the key, perhaps they can be stronger if the pinning
is firm without as bad a sensation in the key, because the hammer is
less fluttery at the top of the lift. Just a more velvety feeling
when playing, less of a rattletrap feeling, and perhaps less
double-striking when regulated very closely.

I tell you what, David ... next time you have a good quality piano
which is offending in the checking department, pin a few of the worst
hammers to three swings and observe what happens. Then maybe you can
explain it to me. I just know that if I do it, I like the results.
Oh, and while you're at it, you might check the wippen flange and the
balancier pinning as well, and fix them if they're very loose. But
I've found that the hammer flange is the main problem, giving more
immediate results than the other two.

Best,
Susan

P.S. Did Wim also check to make sure that the jack has at least a
little leeway in the balancier window at the end of the stroke? I
don't know if this was mentioned - probably was.