[CAUT] balancier/wippens report

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Tue Dec 19 08:19:07 MST 2006

TwoTims -
Great cheering job!  A picture in uniforms is all that was
missing.  Speaking of pictures, any chance of supplying one of the
snap ring pliers.  I know what they are, but I can't picture how you
use them in this application.

The groove is definitely one of the things I have experienced and had
forgotten in my earlier list.  For that matter, I've had the
occasional burr on the spring, and three different jack-side spring
issues: 1) cut end of spring catches on wood fibres in the spring
hole; 2) bent length too long, contacting far side of spring viewing
hole (I don't know what else to call it);  3) angle of bend
incorrect, inhibiting free movement of jack.  I'm not sure any of
these would have a direct effect on checking, but they wouldn't fell right.

Also, one minor correction, which if uncorrected becomes major.

>The shank at rest should dissect the backcheck at the line,,,

I would say that definitely comes under the heading of "what
not".  If the shank can do that at rest, just think what it can do
when it's moving!!   Witness the birth of a whole new piano based horror genre.

Keep up the pressure!!

David Skolnik