[CAUT] balancier/wippens report

Tim Coates tcoates1 at sio.midco.net
Tue Dec 19 06:13:17 MST 2006

Wim,

Tim Coates and Tim Geinert here in the sunny Dakotas.  We are spending
a day together talking pianos and what not (mostly what not).

We are here to cheer you on!

TimG has had experience at University of Minnesota at Morris with the
very problem you describe.  The culprit was the groove for the
butterfly spring in the balancier lever.  The groove was worn so deep
that the spring couldn't slide the proper length and locked the
balancier up.  TimG took a sharp tool and smoothed out the groove.
These pianos were new in the 1970's and hadn't been touched since.
They are under heavy use.  The problem is solved.

Another culprit on other Steinway pianos is the backcheck.  They have
been installed incorrectly (imagine that).  There is a line that must
be adhered to concerning the hammer shank and the backcheck.   The
backcheck should be divided into three sections.  The shank at rest
should dissect the backcheck at the line that separates the top third
from the middle third.  If the backcheck is too low,  a pair of snap
ring pliers are used to raise the backchecks.   Several pianos have had
the problem which created checking and repetition problems.  It sure
beats changing the backchecks.

Goooooh Wim!

Tim Coates and Tim Geinert