[CAUT] balancier/wippens report

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Tue Dec 19 02:31:36 MST 2006

Ric -
I don't think wobble is the issue.  I think that any well designed
checking system would compensate for a degree of lateral oscillation.
The lateral hammer movement you sometimes see upon release of key is
mostly due to an tail not parallel to its backcheck, or perhaps those
designs which turn the backchecks at an angle to match the unsanded
tails.  In either case, the hammer pinning can be compromised.  Keep
remembering that, at the volume level involved in Wim's problem (we
are still talking about Wim, don't you know) the shaking, rolling and
rocking can't be the defining issue, as the extraneous hammer motion
would still have to fall within an  expected range.

As to the issue of adjusting spring strength to pinning friction... I
had been introduced by Bill Garlick to the idea of accelerating the
jack return speed by increasing the tightness of the balancier
pinning, and the requisite increased spring strength for the same
rate of hammer rise having the secondary effect of speeding the jack
at the other end of the spring.  Remember, this whole process is
meaningless on a non-butterfly spring system.  As is is, Ed Foote
earlier said :
>Jack speed is just not,
>imho, anywhere near the limiting factor in repetition speed
>Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:20:24 -0500 (EST)
>From: A440A at aol.com
>Subject: Re: [CAUT] Tight Jack Pinning

Seeing the proper documentation, I would entertain Ed's theory in
principle, except I would consider that the additional spring tension
could be a positive factor in helping the returning jack in
overcoming friction issues at the knuckle (mis-shapen, dirt, or rough
buckskin).  The theoretical improvement of jack return would be an
aid to fast repetition however, not for checking.

In fact, the combination of a high-friction/tension jack return
system, combined with a lightly pinned hammer could contribute to the
"fly-away" sensation Susan spoke of.  In that case, tighter pinning
of the hammershank would be necessary.  The problem with a high
tension rep-spring system is not necessarily the unpleasant 'kick' of
the hammer rise, but rather the increase in resistance (friction) at
the 'moment' of let-off.  As I tried to describe earlier in this
thread (or its ancestor),  an imbalance between the force required to
depress the key to the point of let off and that required to move it
through let off will significantly define the characteristic of that
action in pianissimo playing.

But all this is peripheral.  The main problem is that Wim has chosen
to solve the problem by redefining it.  To wit:

>Bobbling hammers means there is something wrong. From what I am able
>to figure out, there is nothing wrong with a hammer not checking.

and

>Nothing I have tried seems to work. So for now, I give up. But if
>anyone has another answer, I will be glad to try again.

It would be tragic to allow a thread which has generated so much
attention to fade away with a WIMper.  Cheer him on or threaten him,
but don't let him give up!!

That's what he needs! Cheerleaders.

[]

Goooooooooh WIM!!