[CAUT] Checking

Tim Geinert geinert at drtel.net
Wed Dec 20 16:25:56 MST 2006

Alan,
Thanks for the copy of the instructions.

The first time I heard of raising the backchecks was from Scott Jones
teaching at a regional seminar.  I think he also talked about using a snap
ring pliers.  Kevin Stock, also with S&S for a time, had a modified snap
ring pliers with a slot cut out for the wire.  He would just lift them, then
even them out.  I think that's because he knew what he was doing
intuitively.  It was Roger Jolly that I first heard put some numbers which I
need with the idea;.... tail arc radius at 1/2 the hammer hanging distance
(usually right around 2 1/2), shank intersecting roughly the top 1/3 of the
backcheck (this does not need to be fussed with if the hammer line gets
raised from filing or whatever), and the backcheck angled back 18 degress
from vertical (pretty similar to the 68 or 70 degrees you work from, just
different point of reference and 4 deg. different).  I always enjoy hearing
the different approaches to the same thing, because not all things work the
same for everyone, (not wrong, just different) and it is also good to get
something reaffirmed by a seperate source.    A different perspective can
turn the light bulb on.

Tim G