[CAUT] checking article

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Wed Dec 20 17:10:40 MST 2006

David, Ric, et all

The idea of writing an article about this thread has peaked my
interest. There seems to be two main differences of opinions. One
measurement is the shank even with a third of the way down the back
check, the other is the tail 2 mm above the back check when the hammer
is at let off.

What I will do over the next couple of weeks is look at a number of
different pianos that are checking properly, and see where the tails,
shanks and checks are located, along with the angle of the check, and
the condition of the tail.

I'll see if I can look at some pianos at several of the stores while
I'm in Colorado Springs, and maybe even visit a rebuilding shop.
Then, when I get back to the university, I'll look at the pianos I've
got.

David and Ric, if you don't mind, I'll run the article by both of you,
before submitting it to the Journal

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician