[CAUT] checking article

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Dec 21 02:01:21 MST 2006

Hi Wim

Writing and getting published an article is a kick really, and the one
who ends up learning the most seems always to be the author. Oldest
adage in the book I guess...

I'd be glad to take a look at what you come up with. That said I have
every confidence in the world you'll do a great job.  I can copy and
email you some information from the Yamaha Academy material I have
laying around and some other stuff if its of any help.

As far as the differences in opinions on checking.  The biggest I've
seen through the years is that some believe the tails should be really
roughened with deep grooves... tho that later bit seems to be
dissapearing the idea of roughness remains.  Contrasted with the idea of
smooth but not glazed.  Tims height reckoning of the hammer shank at
rest was a new one on me. I got tons of respect for Tim so I know he
doesnt throw things around lightly.  That said seemed to me right off
the bat that if the tails were too short (or too long) this idea would
run into a problem.  I havent had chance to think about the same thing
with respect to the 2 mm offset from tail bottom to check top at
letoff... but off hand any tail length problem with this approach would
only seem to need an adjustment in check height.

Well well... time for thinking about all that later.  Now its time for a
nice hot glass of Gløgg.  You guys drink Wassle over there...  Vikings
are a little more.... primitive :)

Cheers
RicB

    David, Ric, et all

    The idea of writing an article about this thread has peaked my
    interest. There seems to be two main differences of opinions. One
    measurement is the shank even with a third of the way down the back
    check, the other is the tail 2 mm above the back check when the hammer
    is at let off.

    What I will do over the next couple of weeks is look at a number of
    different pianos that are checking properly, and see where the tails,
    shanks and checks are located, along with the angle of the check, and
    the condition of the tail.

    I'll see if I can look at some pianos at several of the stores while
    I'm in Colorado Springs, and maybe even visit a rebuilding shop.
    Then, when I get back to the university, I'll look at the pianos I've
    got.

    David and Ric, if you don't mind, I'll run the article by both of you,
    before submitting it to the Journal

    Wim
    Willem Blees, RPT
    Piano Tuner/Technician