[CAUT] balancier/wippens report

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu Dec 21 11:07:38 MST 2006

Ric,

Fwiw, I agree with your disagreement on Wim's points (1,2 & 4). That is
also my experience. I would also like to see an article/collaboration on
the topic.

Richard Davenport strongly advocates 8-10 grams (I believe) in the
balancier pinning and offers compelling reasons. It might be good to get
his input, since that is one of his big "things".

Also, S&S promotion of 1-3 pinning in the hammer flanges and "Zero is OK
as long as there is no side play..." (paraphrased from their manual)
needs debunking. It's flat wrong IMO. Even though they do have their
"special" impregnated bushing cloth, zero simply ain't good.

Regards,

Jim Busby