[CAUT] Backcheck replacement revisited (was: balancier/wippens report)

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 22 16:20:04 MST 2006

At 11:00 AM 12/18/2006, David Skolnik wrote:
>>I.S.: Replacing the {current style Steinway] backchecks with the
>>Tokiwa- made old-style Steinway backchecks (longer) cleared up all
>>the problems on both pianos ($150/set, Pianotek). It seems that on
>>a lot of them the hammer tails are just too short for the new
>>style, shorter backchecks...
>>
>>Israel Stein
>
>D.S.: Israel - As with Wim - you also did not indicate the
>manufacturing year of your pianos.  It's true that there was a
>period when the tails were extremely short, but that's not too
>recent, in my experience.  If it were only the height of the checks
>in relation to the tails, why couldn't you simply raise the
>backchecks?  As an experiment, it falls short of completely
>explaining the issue, since there are undoubtedly differences in a
>number of characteristics between the two brands.  Can you look at
>the two side by side and compare them?
>
>David Skolnik

Finally got a chance to closely examine the two backchecks side by
side, and to my great surprise found out that the height difference
between the two is negligible - 1/2 of a millimeter. The replacement
backcheck appears to be longer at first glance because it's body is
1/2" longer than the current Steinway backcheck - but the wire is
shorter, so the height difference turns out to be negligible (at
least as installed in this particular 1999 Steinway D). So, David,
you are right - there is something else happening here, because the
difference in function was quite striking. The regulation fell into
place very easily. I simply duplicated the angle from the old
backchecks - and all the backchecks were working fine after one
regulation pass. The client noticed the difference right away.

So, what could it be if not the height?

Here are the dimensions (excluding wire):

Current style Steinway: 30 mm tall, 9 mm wide, 12 mm thick at base -
tapering to 9 mm at top of moulding
Old-Style Steinway made by Tokiwa: 42 mm tall, 10.5 mm wide, 12 mm
thick (not tapered). I compared it to an old Steinway backcheck on
one of the pianos at SFSU - and it is pretty much identical (at least
dimensionally).

So, does the greater mass relative to the hammer have an effect? Is
the front-to-back tapering on the new style a problem?

There is almost double the thickness of felt on the old-style
backcheck (5.5 mm as opposed to 3 mm) and the buckskin is thicker and
firmer. There is much less "give" in the felt of the old-style
Tokiwa-made backcheck than in the current Steinway backcheck. Is that
a factor? (I would think that after 6 years' use the felt would get
compress and become firmer - not looser - so age does not appear to
be the problem here...)

Also, when I was regulating these replacement backchecks, the wires
on them felt "springier" than the originals.

That's all the differences I can think of. It just seems to me that
these older-style backchecks are more forgiving - and will function
and regulate well over a broader range of tail shapes and backcheck
angles than the current style. Just an initial impression... There
are two high-quality rebuilders here in the San Francisco Bay area
who replace any current-style backchecks in their projects with these
old-style Tokiwa ones as a matter of course. The only downside I know
of (aside from the cost and the labor) is that sometimes if you don't
want the checking too close, you'll have trouble clearing the
sostenuto and it may be necessary to cove the mouldings...

So, any speculation as to what makes these backcheks work so much
better? Because they do.

Israel Stein