[CAUT] Checking

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Dec 27 13:58:37 MST 2006

Hi Jurgen,
    I have a guess. The felt shoulders of the hammers can tend to hit the
tops of the checks (with the flexes and compression of shank/felt/leather)
on return. This will happen more, obviously, with the thicker hammers than
thin, hence the taper bass to treble. I have certainly had problems relative
to this with Steinways, in tenor especially, where the shoulders actually
catch and stick to the checks (I¹d get a complaint about a ³sticking key² -
in this case sticking on the upstroke). Thickness of the ³rest² felt
(pillow, or newer damper style on the end of the wipp) and its relationship
to the shank position at rest plays into this, as does check height. I guess
Steinway is addressing this problem in making that recommendation for
tapered check height. I suspect they also recommend tapered check distance.
    Which brings up another issue that hasn¹t been mentioned, or very
little, in the discussion of checking issues. That is the upstroke, and the
geometry involved in allowing the tail to miss the check. This includes the
profile of the tail, its length, the angle and profile of the check, and its
height. I don¹t have a good handle on what the parameters should be, but
there are a few good principles: smoothly curved profile of the tail, no
³bump²; there is a limit to how high the check can be relative to the shank
at rest, and this varies a bit with tail length; angle of check needs to be
within fairly tight parameters, and these seem to be essentially the same as
for good checking on the ³downstroke.²
    One can figure out quite a bit about what might be wrong with a checking
system by setting the check distance a wee bit close, then playing a key
while offering resistance to the hammer and observing what happens: where
and how does the hammer hit the check on the upstroke? What change would
allow it to miss?
    The bottom line is that seemingly tiny differences in angle, height,
curvature, surface condition etc. can make all the difference in function. I
have long been puzzled as to why Steinways seem more touchy than many other
brands (leaving aside the ³too short tail² problem). And why some Steinways
are much more problematic than others, even with apparently identical
geometry and parts.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico