[CAUT] Checking

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Fri Dec 29 09:34:52 MST 2006

Quoting Fred Sturm <fssturm at unm.edu>:

> have long been puzzled as to why Steinways seem more touchy than many
> other
> brands (leaving aside the ³too short tail² problem). And why some
> Steinways
> are much more problematic than others, even with apparently
> identical
> geometry and parts.
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm
> University of New Mexico

It seems all of this checking problem is only with Steinway. In
preperation for the article I'm going to attempt to write, I took some
measurements of other pianos at the store I work, and none of them had
checking problems. I looked at a 9' Estonia, 6'3" Petrof, 7' Hallet &
Davis and a 5'6" Young Chang. All of them had the same tail length, 1"
1/6", the same back check height (I don't remember the exact
measurement, and lenght, (1" 1/4"), and same balancier grams (1 - 3).
We have Kawai's at school and I don't remember them having a checking
problem.

Are there other brands that have checking problems that I am not aware
of?

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician