[CAUT] Checking

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Wed Dec 27 16:48:41 MST 2006

>there are a few good principles: smoothly curved profile of the tail, no
>?bump?; there is a limit to how high the check can be relative to the shank
>at rest, and this varies a bit with tail length; angle of check needs to be
>within fairly tight parameters,

I generally use a 3" arc on the tails. Due to the degree of coving, anything
shorter leaves too thin of a tail section. I order hammers un-coved
and find the
coving process unnecessary. It removes such a minute amount of weight
which has a
negligible effect on touch weight (certainly not worth the effort). I
also ease the 'square'
end with a rough file and fine-file the tapered edges to remove 'hairs'.

Tail length 1 1/16", shorter lengths brings the check closer and the
tops of the back
checks can hit the shoulders of the hammers.  I order hammers with a
molding 1/8" longer than my longest bore. I then sand all tails to
even length after hanging.  Why have varying tail lengths as a
result of a tapered bore?

Back check height, I have not gone wrong with setting the height to
even-with or 2 mm
below the tail at drop position.

Angle, 72 degrees from key stick. That's the leather face, not the
wood rear profile.

That's my recipe for success.
--

Regards,