[CAUT] Checking OT - mainly for Jon Page & RicB

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Thu Dec 28 01:25:38 MST 2006

Boys -
I was going to send this off-list, but every subject title I came up
with sounded like something my own email program would skim off as
spam, so I apologize for the somewhat OT and personalized nature of
this post. I do think it may apply to a few other individuals. It is,
to be sure, no criticism, so be calm.
It's about how  Eudora (my email client) interprets and organizes
subject titles in its mailbox listing.  Ric, if you'll recall, I
previously pointed out this problem (perhaps relating ONLY to
Eudora), in the way the subject appears in the header without the
"RE:" .  I originally thought you were re-typing the subject in, but
you said that its appearance was a function of replying from mail
received in digest form.  I seem to recall that both of you have
indicated that you use that option.  Two things occur to make your
posts NOT come up with others when grouped by subject.  First, though
I think it may not be the real issue, one can usually discern the
originating post of a thread, as it is otherwise the only one which
does NOT begin with "RE".  When there are more than one appearing
that way, it can be confusing.  However, what seems to separate out
yours' is the space that appears after "CAUT" in the subject.  You
are either doing something manually, or else something is happening
automatically to insert extra spaces when you reply.  The result,
again in Eudora, is that all these posts go to the top of the listing
(separated from all the other posts on that subject) when grouped by
subject.   I'm pointing this out a) so that you'll be aware of it,
and b) if there is anything that you can do, you might consider
it.  I don't want any of your words lost to posterity.

Second is to Jon.  I notice a particular phenomenon on a number of
your posts.  Quoted passages will appear in very small font, but when
I click to reply, the requoted portion appears in extra large font
(as below).  Any idea what's happening ?

This is all end-of-the-year housekeeping.

Happy New Year

David Skolnik