[CAUT] Performance piano usage

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 10:04:20 EST

In a message dated 1/31/2006 5:16:36 PM Central Standard Time, =20
Craig_Waldrop@baylor.edu writes:
=20
Craig
=20
Your situation is similar as mine, except our smaller Recital Hall has  only=
=20
one B. Hopefully my answers will be of some help to you.
=20
Wim=20

Here are  my questions:
1. Does your institution have guidelines for usage of  performance pianos an=
if so, how are they implemented or enforced?   (If a document exists which
you could share, please feel free to email it  to me privately).
Of the two D's in the Concert Hall, only the newer one can be used by =20
faculty or guest pianists. The other one is for student use, and by the  ens=
embles.=20
There is no document for this, just a general understanding. For the  most=20
part it is adhered to. =20

1. Who has keys to your best concert  pianos (assuming they are locked or
access to the room is  restricted)?
=20
The key to the room where the new D is kept is supposed to be  locked, but i=
t=20
is also one of two ways to get into the concert hall. So often  times, when=20
the band or orchestra has a rehearsal on stage, that room is open.  Other th=
an=20
that, I have a key, as does the audio/visual technician.  But everyone else,=
=20
including the piano professors, have to sign out a key with  music services=20=
if=20
they want to use that piano. The other piano is in the main  back stage=20
entrance. That entrance is supposed to be locked when the hall is not  in us=
e, but=20
it is left unlocked most of the time. As a result, students do go in  and=20
practice. Not just piano players, but brass players, too, who love  the hall=
=20
because of its acoustics.=20

1. How much rehearsal time is allowed  for performance majors giving a=20
recital?=20
=20
All student recitals are in the Recital Hall, (seats 140 and has a B). =20
Students who are signed up for a recital are allowed one 2 hour rehearsal wi=
thin =20
two weeks of their recital. Most faculty members give their recitals in the=20=
=20
Concert Hall, and they are allowed as much time as they need in the hall, bu=
t =20
they have to sign up for it. The same if they want to use teh Recital  Hall.

1. How do you control or limit time of piano use for evening and  late-night=
=20
rehearsals?=20
=20
Both halls are supposed to be locked when not in use for classes or =20
rehearsals. But often the rooms are left unlocked. Students will use every =20=
excuse to=20
get in there to practice. I don't have the authority to kick them out,  exce=
pt=20
when I have the halls reserved for tuning. The problem is, no one else  want=
s=20
to be the bad guy and kick the students out, and most faculty are not  aroun=
d=20
late at night. So there is no way of telling how much those pianos get  used=
=20
at night.=20

1. Approximately how many hours a week is your best piano  played?
=20
"Officially" the Recital Hall piano gets played about 8 - 10 hours a day. =20
"Officially," the older D in the concert hall gets used about 10 hours a wee=
k, =20
and the new D about 6 hours a week. How much extra playing time is any body'=
s =20
guess.=20

1. In your opinion, what is the distinction between =B3rehearsal=B2  and=20
=B3practice=B2?=20
=20
Rehearsing is with an ensemble. Practicing is by yourself in practice room.=20=
=20
(or concert hall after hours.) =20
=20
Wim=20