[CAUT] Performance piano usage

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 10:03:35 -0600

Craig:

Our main concert hall is used a lot by the orchestra and wind ensembles for rehearsal and all organists consider it an organ practice room.  Consequently the pianos are not targets for much of the day.  The room is scheduled in the Facilities office but people do get in there and use the pianos if nothing else happens to be going on in there.  Our small recital hall (160-seats) is also a lecture hall so it too is tightly scheduled.  The only time I have in these places is before most musicians are awake.

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of Craig_Waldrop
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 5:22 PM
To: CAUT
Subject: [CAUT] Performance piano usage

Dear List,

I am writing this to solicit your help in gathering data on performance
piano usage and access control.  This query is directed primarily to
full-time techs at schools of music, although I welcome any and all
productive input from those of you with experience working in a very active
music institution.  I work at Baylor School of Music where we have two
primary performance venues. One is a large concert hall and the second is a
smaller multi-use recital hall.  We have two Steinway concert grands in each
hall.  Three of these instruments are kept locked when not in use; the
fourth one is a ³stage² piano used for orchestra and other instrumental
ensemble rehearsals.  There are also three or four other smaller rooms
(lecture and rehearsal halls) containing seven-foot grand pianos.

Here are my questions:
1. Does your institution have guidelines for usage of performance pianos and
if so, how are they implemented or enforced?  (If a document exists which
you could share, please feel free to email it to me privately).

1. Who has keys to your best concert pianos (assuming they are locked or
access to the room is restricted)?

1. How much rehearsal time is allowed for performance majors giving a
recital?

1. How do you control or limit time of piano use for evening and late-night
rehearsals?

1. Approximately how many hours a week is your best piano played?

1. In your opinion, what is the distinction between ³rehearsal² and
³practice²?

My request comes to you following a meeting with the dean of our School of
Music regarding a multitude of piano maintenance issues and he asked me to
gather ³supportive data.² There was specific discussion about a particular
professorıs habit of giving a key to students with upcoming recitals.  The
existing guidelines allow two two-hour rehearsal times on the piano that
theyıve chosen to play. The students who are given keys are FAR exceeding
that amount of time.  (I have discovered them at times playing very late at
night/ early morning; donıt know for how long.)

If these questions are too long for our list forum, I apologize.  Please
respond privately if you wish to minimize that. Thanks in advance for your
assistance.  I would really appreciate your input.

Craig Waldrop, RPT
Staff Piano Technician
Baylor School of Music
Craig_Waldrop@baylor.edu