[CAUT] Another first

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 16:35:16 EST

Here's one I've never encountered before. I tuned a 20 year old Baldwin
spinet this morning, that the had never been tuned before. (Yes it was a pitch
raise, but it was only about 20 cents flat). As I was tuning I noticed that Eb5
didn't play right. It not only wobbled back and forth at the front, but was
also  going to down too far. I assumed a broken mortise, and perhaps a missing
punching. When I took the key out, the mortise was OK, but guess what? The
front  rail pin, and punching was completely missing. I took out the keys for
about an  octave on both sides, think it might have come out some how. But I
think it had  been missing ever since the piano left the factory. The owner did
say that  his brother complained that the note didn't play right, but didn't
pay much  attention to it.

This is the first time I have ever encountered something like this. It's no
biggie, but I thought it was interesting, non-the-less.

Wim
Willem Blees,  RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music