[CAUT] Another first

Jeff Olson jlolson@cal.net
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 16:42:36 -0800

I don't care how long you're in this business.  There are always =
surprises.  That would've been a first for me, too.  (I still get =
"firsts" -- after 25 years).

Jeff O.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 1:35 PM
  Subject: [CAUT] Another first

  Here's one I've never encountered before. I tuned a 20 year old =
Baldwin spinet this morning, that the had never been tuned before. (Yes =
it was a pitch raise, but it was only about 20 cents flat). As I was =
tuning I noticed that Eb5 didn't play right. It not only wobbled back =
and forth at the front, but was also going to down too far. I assumed a =
broken mortise, and perhaps a missing punching. When I took the key out, =
the mortise was OK, but guess what? The front rail pin, and punching was =
completely missing. I took out the keys for about an octave on both =
sides, think it might have come out some how. But I think it had been =
missing ever since the piano left the factory. The owner did say that =
his brother complained that the note didn't play right, but didn't pay =
much attention to it.=20

  This is the first time I have ever encountered something like this. =
It's no biggie, but I thought it was interesting, non-the-less.

  Wim=20
  Willem Blees, RPT
  Piano Tuner/Technician
  School of Music