[CAUT] Equivalent???

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 11:03:14 -0700

Bill, list.

=20

When I was hired here at BYU they required "RPT or equivalent". It came
down to me and a fellow who had taken "The American School of Piano
Tuning" course. Sounded good enough to the committee... Turns out the
guy hardly knew ANYTHING and is a lousy tuner! Luckily for them (and me)
the would-be CAUT went back to selling pianos so I got the position, by
default!! The word "equivalent" must mean anything that sounds like a
credential. Go figure!

=20

Jim Busby BYU (RPT)

=20

p.s. I wasn't an RPT until right before applying for this job. I passed
both tests (tuning/tech) in one day. (I DON'T recommend this...) After
nearly 18 years of tuning it took this "RPT or equivalent" requirement
to force me through the tests. It was the BEST thing I ever did for my
career, but frankly, if I hadn't been coerced into taking the test
(Thank's, Vince...)  I probably never would have bothered. No real need
to. (That was my perception at the time.)

=20