[CAUT] Equivalent???

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Thu, 09 Feb 2006 13:26:33 -0600

At 11:03 AM 2/9/2006 -0700, you wrote:
>Bill, list.
>
>When I was hired here at BYU they required “RPT or equivalent”. It came
>down to me and a fellow who had taken “The American School of Piano
>Tuning” course. Sounded good enough to the committee… Turns out the guy
>hardly knew ANYTHING and is a lousy tuner! Luckily for them (and me) the
>would-be CAUT went back to selling pianos so I got the position, by
>default!! The word “equivalent” must mean anything that sounds like a
>credential. Go figure!
>
>Jim Busby BYU (RPT)
>
>p.s. I wasn’t an RPT until right before applying for this job. I passed
>both tests (tuning/tech) in one day. (I DON’T recommend this…) After
>nearly 18 years of tuning it took this “RPT or equivalent” requirement to
>force me through the tests. It was the BEST thing I ever did for my
>career, but frankly, if I hadn’t been coerced into taking the test
>(Thank’s, Vince…)  I probably never would have bothered. No real need to.
>(That was my perception at the time.)

"Equivalent" might be an actual, real and thorough interview process.  I
was an RTT when I was hired here, but each of us who interviewed not only
had to do a tuning (mine was on a D), but a two or three hour regulation
session on a grand, followed by a faculty-like interview with piano faculty
members and the Dean.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.