[CAUT] Performance piano usage

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:00:19 -0800

Craig,

When you are trying to convince the powers that be that it might be a good
idea to limit the use of your performance pianos, you might say something
like, "a performance piano that is used as a practice piano soon begins to
feel and sound like a practice piano."

Attached is a policy document we use here that speaks to this issue. I have
used this doc as a template and edited it correspondingly for insertion int=
the student handbook and the faculty handbook.

FWIW.

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University
amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
509-359-4627

> From: Craig_Waldrop <Craig_Waldrop@baylor.edu>
> Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 13:09:26 -0600
> To: CAUT List <caut@ptg.org>
> Conversation: [CAUT] Performance piano usage
> Subject: Re: [CAUT] Performance piano usage
>=20
> Don,
>=20
> Thanks very much for your clear and concise answers to my query.  I reali=
ze
> that a lot of this just comes with the territory at a college.  I just ha=
ve
> some real struggles because some bad habits have been formed and we have =
two
> buildings.  Neither of these is monitored or locked up.  "We never close!=
"
>=20
> As a consequence of this, many of our instruments really take a beating. =
 It
> sounds like heaven having someone "run a tight ship" on the scheduling.
> Here at Baylor, booking is done on-line by a lady who is never actually i=
> the halls and has no idea what the usage entails.
>=20
> Thanks again,
> Craig
>=20
>=20
> On 2/1/06 9:45 AM, "Don McKechnie" <dmckech@ithaca.edu> wrote:
>=20
>> Craig,
>>=20
>>> 1. Does your institution have guidelines for usage of performance piano=
s and
>>> if so, how are they implemented or enforced?  (If a document exists whi=
ch