[CAUT] 1098 slight redesign

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 22:34:44 -0800

I am not a rescaler, I've had Del Fandrich do my scaling and invariably =
with
Steinways there are changes made to the bass that are always an =
improvement
in terms of clarity.  I can only say that what I notice is the tendency =
in
the low bass to reduce the thickness of the core wire and go to double
wraps.  I can't, unfortunately, give you the specifics. =20

=20

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of =
Jim
Busby
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 10:53 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: [CAUT] 1098 slight redesign

=20

David,

=20

The low bass is really thuddy and it gets better to the break. (Although =
the
side by side shows the original design even worse!) Hellerbass did the
rescale and strings. I may get Arledge to do it and then we could see, =
w/o
changing any more variables, what that does.

=20

I didn't measure the new strings to compare, since I don't do much =
rescaling
(yet), but I guess I should. It has a tendency to make my head explode.
Vince thinks I should just get the low bass replaced from Arledge and =
see
what that does. What do you think?

=20

Thanks for the feedback. I certainly need it with this project. I'm not
willing to let this "stand" just to be done with it because I feel it =
will
be of value to us all. There are a bunch of these rascals around and I
certainly want to find the best formula I can. It may be that I need a =
new
board design and the whole banana. I'm just trying to see if I can find =
cost/time efficient fix.

=20

I will update you with more info.

=20