[CAUT] Steinway B breaking strings

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 07:49:24 -0700

Hi Jeff,
	I'd say the overwhelming probability is it is the pianist's
technique. I've seen it so often: new prof or student comes, strings
start popping. Student or prof leaves, problem solves itself.
	As for solution, I'm going to suggest a different tack. You _could_
advise the prof to get lessons in playing, rather than banging the
piano, but that would probably be counterproductive. The technique
problem, however, is likely a very common one. Pianist is told
repeatedly to bring out the melody. This keeps getting hammered in
(pun intended). A better teacher would say, "You're melody is about
right. Drop everything else down." This is a lot harder to learn to
do, but it is a large part of the secret of fine pianism.
	Problem being, of course, the ancient problem of balance between
killer octaves and the rest, and that what is wanted is for the
killer octave to stand out against the background of the rest. And
the rest is much more powerful by nature. What we have going for us
is the fact that our ears hear that pitch range a bit louder than it
is, and a lot of design factors which work to bring attention to
those notes. But if the pianist plays with fairly equal intensity
with both hands, the right hand, and especially its pinky (which is
usually trying to carry the melody) will be drowned out.
	The solution I suggest, not having access to the pianist's brain, is
to voice down the bottom half of the piano, say G4 to A0. Make it
easier for the mid treble to stand out. Make the piano do what the
pianist should be doing. You don't want to go overboard, and make it
mush. Just take a good bit of edge off.
	I think this is good overall voicing advice. That once we establish
a good killer octaves level, we balance the tenor and bass a bit
below it. Far better than trying, like the ham-handed pianist, to
bring up the mid treble, until it is more lacquer than felt. It kind
of goes against the grain, as it means taking those lower areas below
where they sound their best, but it is a good compromise, and might
well help solve the breakage problem.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm@unm.edu

On Feb 13, 2006, at 1:20 PM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

> Ok, so I'm bringing this back up again.
>
> Our heavy handed pianist's 10-year-old B has experienced over an
> octave of broken strings in the 6th and into the 7th octaves.
snip