[CAUT] Steinway B breaking strings

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:47:38 EST

In a message dated 2/13/2006 3:57:14 PM Central Standard Time,
jtanner@mozart.sc.edu writes:

Our  heavy handed pianist's 10-year-old B has experienced over an
octave  of broken strings in the 6th and into the 7th octaves.  All of
the wire from C#6 to C#7 has been replaced at least once.  None  of
our other ten Bs, all purchased the same year, have had even  one
broken string, and yes, all but one are in piano faculty  studios.

Jeff

I wonder, as one the others commented, if the problem is with the hammers.
Strings break because the pianist hits the keys too hard, to try to get more
sound to come out of the notes. I would like to recommend you juice up the
hammers in the 6th and 7th octaves. Use a dropper and put some acetone and
thinner on the crown, and let it dry for about 15 minutes. Lightly sand the tops
of the hammers to get the crust off, and gently needle some of the irritating
hammers.  Do it a little at a time, and ask the pianist her opinion.

What might sound bright to you might not sound bright to her. I just did
this on one of the D's on stage. I thought it sounded bright already. but we
just had Stephen Hough here for a concert last night, and he said the piano
wasn't bright enough in the top three octaves. So I juiced the upper three
octaves, and the piano does sound better now. It's amazing how much more  power
comes out with just a little of juicing.

Wim.