The Practical Information In Humorous Threads (was: [CAUT] NewLaws)

Jeff Olson jlolson@cal.net
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 20:34:59 -0800

Tim C.:

"It seems there is a shortage of technicians in the Watertown
area.  I think you said
something about that area.  It was probably about 20 below there.
What we are really excited about is someone who can show us how a
piano business is run.  We really have a lot to learn here in the
country.   And use humor to boot!"

At -20, I think a little humor (if not something stronger) could
be helpful.  I hope you're right about them needing technicians
in Watertown.

If it's any comfort, Tim, I'm here for the technical information,
too -- and I've seen quite a lot of that since I've been here,
for which I'm duly grateful.   But I don't share your objections
to the banter or humorous posts, obviously.  I don't see the two
as being mutually exclusive.  I don't see humor undercutting the
seriousness of our work.

If I had to make a choice, however, I would choose the technical
posts, because there are many other sites where one can find
humor (or about anything else).

Speaking of -20, here's a technical question, for those
interested: What is the best finish for spraying/applying in a
cold climate?

Jeff O.