[CAUT] Vertical hammer return spring slings, replacement of

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:05:35 -0600

Alan,

My standard question in this situation:  What=B9s the cost of all new flanges=
,
versus your labor charges in replacing the slings?  Getting the sling the
right size is very important to maintaining consistent spring tension.  The
only technique I have seen for this that looks like it would really work
involves getting the flanges off the butts.  This would only be practical i=
you replace the flange, and then replace the slings in the shop, thus
creating more replacement flanges.  I have a small box full of this type of
flange waiting for me to get around to replacing the slings.  Problem is, I
can=B9t replace the slings for less cost than I can buy new flanges.

If you=B9re locked into doing this on Monday, your plan is correct.  You=B9ll
have to remove the hammers.  Removing the dampers wouldn=B9t help, since from
the damper=B9s point of view, the sling is glued to the =B3back=B2 side of the
butt flange, i.e. the side opposite the rail.  You can=B9t get to it from tha=
side of the action.  I=B9d use CA glue, although I don=B9t use CA for anything
because I=B9m allergic to the fumes.  Anything else would take way too long.
Unless Yamaha provided pre-cut cords, I don=B9t know how you could get them
all the same/right length.

Good Luck,
Ken Z.

On 2/18/06 8:57 AM, "reggaepass@aol.com" <reggaepass@aol.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> =20
> This Monday I will replace all of the hammer return spring slings on an o=
lder
> Yamaha U3.  Yamaha graciously provided the cord material.  Someone advise=
> removing all of the dampers and leaving the hammers on for the operation.
> However, looks to me like it would be rather tricky to get the glue and t=
he
> right length of cord in the right place in the hammer flange slots with t=
he
> hammers still on the rail.  My current plan is to leave the dampers, but
> remove all of the hammers so they may be handled individually.
> =20
> Anybody out there worked through this to their satisfaction?  Got a solve=
nt
> that works better than alcohol for loosening up the old glue?  For instal=
ling
> the new cords, have you used CA, hide glue, what-have-you?
> =20
> Any and all input is welcome, all the more so if it is before Monday morn=
ing.
> =20
> Have a good weekend,
> =20