[CAUT] Vertical hammer return spring slings, replacement of

Tim Geinert geinert@drtel.net
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:37:44 -0600

Alan,
The only one of these I have done, Yamaha provided the flanges.  All I =
had to do was install them.   But like Ken said, if you are locked into =
Monday morn. this does  you no good, and all I can do is wish you good =
luck.  I don't envy you this task.

Tim G

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: reggaepass@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org ; caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2006 8:57 AM
  Subject: [CAUT] Vertical hammer return spring slings, replacement of

  Hi All,

  This Monday I will replace all of the hammer return spring slings on =
an older Yamaha U3.  Yamaha graciously provided the cord material.  =
Someone advised removing all of the dampers and leaving the hammers on =
for the operation.  However, looks to me like it would be rather tricky =
to get the glue and the right length of cord in the right place in the =
hammer flange slots with the hammers still on the rail.  My current plan =
is to leave the dampers, but remove all of the hammers so they may be =
handled individually.

  Anybody out there worked through this to their satisfaction?  Got a =
solvent that works better than alcohol for loosening up the old glue?  =
For installing the new cords, have you used CA, hide glue, =
what-have-you? =20

  Any and all input is welcome, all the more so if it is before Monday =
morning.

  Have a good weekend,

  Alan Eder, RPT