[CAUT] Vertical hammer return spring slings, replacement of

reggaepass@aol.com reggaepass@aol.com
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 13:50:25 -0500

Hi Ken,
=20
Thanks for your input.  Yamaha provided "appropriate" cord spiraled around a=
 cardboard tube of such a diameter that when you slice the cord in line with=
 the tube, you wind up with #90 little 44mm pieces of slings-to-be (10mm to=20=
be glued to each side of the flange and another 24mm for the sling proper).=20=
 Think I will follow your (and Dale Erwin's) advice, get new flanges and re-=
schedule.
=20
Thanks again,
=20
Alan
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Zahringer <ZahringerK@missouri.edu>
To: College and University Technicians <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:05:35 -0600
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Vertical hammer return spring slings, replacement of

Alan,

My standard question in this situation:  What's the cost of all new flanges,=
 versus your labor charges in replacing the slings?  Getting the sling the r=
ight size is very important to maintaining consistent spring tension.  The o=
nly technique I have seen for this that looks like it would really work invo=
lves getting the flanges off the butts.  This would only be practical if you=
 replace the flange, and then replace the slings in the shop, thus creating=20=
more replacement flanges.  I have a small box full of this type of flange wa=
iting for me to get around to replacing the slings.  Problem is, I can't rep=
lace the slings for less cost than I can buy new flanges.

If you're locked into doing this on Monday, your plan is correct.  You'll ha=
ve to remove the hammers.  Removing the dampers wouldn't help, since from th=
e damper's point of view, the sling is glued to the "back" side of the butt=20=
flange, i.e. the side opposite the rail.  You can't get to it from that side=
 of the action.  I'd use CA glue, although I don't use CA for anything becau=
se I'm allergic to the fumes.  Anything else would take way too long.  Unles=
s Yamaha provided pre-cut cords, I don't know how you could get them all the=
 same/right length.

Good Luck,
Ken Z.