[CAUT] Glue For Hammers

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 18:50:17 +0100

I've never tried hide glue for this job, so I have no opinion on it
other then I see a lot of failure rates.  I also see high failure rates
on a white glue that is used on several European cheapo makes. Rippen
was notorious for this.  I just ran into the 5th small Yamaha in my
experience with them that has this problem as well... factory glue 10
years on...      30 % roughly of the hammers have come loose.

I'm not so sure its a problem of the glue or how its used.  I use an
ordinary white glue that is readily available over here. I suppose its
somewhat similiar to Titebond... but not quite.  I stopped having
failure rates when I started swathing the inside of the hammers with a
bit of glue first, then the shank with a bit and letting that all <<soak
in>> for about 60 seconds before putting the hammer on the shank. Takes
a bit more time.. but not much.  Havent seen a failure here at the
university since I started her 7 years ago.

Cheers
RicB