[CAUT] recycling bass strings?

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:20:51 -0500

    Hi Russell:
    I think it boils down to economics.  To spend the time and energy to
reclaim by unwinding the copper wire from a steel core bass string to
recover a few ounces of a non-precious metal might not make sense.  Since
tuning pins are steel, and in small amounts they probably have little value.
I can remember however during WWII when scrap drives counted on small
quantities by many people to help the war effort.  During those years
everyone pitched in, but alas, those days are gone and the drop in the
bucket piano technicians could or would contribute would perhaps be
insignificant today....
    Mike Kurta