[CAUT] Moving Pianos on Campus

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:30:25 -0600

Rob,

When I was at IWU, we always hired an outside moving company to move the =
pianos.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Rob & Helen Goodale=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 11:31 AM
  Subject: [CAUT] Moving Pianos on Campus

  Hello,
  Typically I stay in the back ground and just observe the list but I =
have worthy inquiry.  I am the staff tech at UNLV, (University of =
Nevada, Las Vegas).  We have +/-65 pianos and occasionally a few must be =
moved around.  I have one grand and one upright that I keep aside for =
when someone needs one for special events.  The upright has a permanent =
heavy truck on it for moving around.  For grands I use a method that =
involves tilting the piano up onto the skid while it's already on the =
dolly.  The dolly is custom made with extra large hard wheels.  Two of =
the wheels do not swivel so that it doesn't skip out while lifting.  If =
it is a reasonably small grand, (nothing larger than a C-3), then it is =
surprisingly simple.  I'm sure there are others who do this.  Anyway to =
the point.

  After lifting and moving pianos for years my back has just about had =
it.  Every so often it slips out of place and I find myself in pain for =
several days.  Recently I was required to move several pianos in a day =
and it just about did me in.  This morning I found myself stiff and =
unable to crawl out of bed.  The reality is that I can't continue doing =
this.  At age 40 I have a long way to go and I don't fancy ruining my =
back for the likes of ungrateful university staff.

  I would like to know what other university techs have done regarding =
piano moves.  Because of liability reasons they are not too enthusiastic =
about getting students to do it.  The facilities management people are =
not reliable and can't be trusted to show up on time.  The Faculty is =
certainly not interested in getting their hands dirty.  I have =
occasionally called in another outside tech but that is not always =
possible.  Unfortunately my Jedi skills aren't mastered well enough to =
move pianos using "The Force".  So... what do YOU do?

  Rob Goodale, RPT
  Las Vegas, NV