[CAUT] Moving Pianos on Campus

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:53:24 -0600

Rob,

I will occasionally move uprights, with student or faculty help, and of
course harpsichords, but up until now we have hired a moving company to mov=
grands.  This is getting very expensive, though.  They will often send 5 or
6 guys to move a concert grand, and only two of them really know what
they=B9re doing.  Because of this, I am working up a proposal to do moving
in-house.  This will allow us to move a grand for 25-40% of what the movers
charge, plus my help will actually be trained.  There are two critical
purchases in this proposal: a Piano Horse and a Buckeye truck.  The piano
horse is available through Jansen, and they have a video about using it tha=
they will send you.  It tilts the piano onto the skid with minimal effort.
Gordon Crail, the inventor, has given classes at convention.  The Buckeye,
or Self-Lifting, piano truck is available through Schaff.  It sounds like
your dolly/skid arrangement is already similar.  It the administration balk=
at either one of these purchases, I=B9m not moving grands.  I think anyone wh=
moves a grand without a piano horse, or something like it, is just a
masochist.  Needless to say, I highly recommend both of these pieces of
equipment.

Your back is a separate, but related, issue.  I had some back problems when
I was in high school.  When I started doing some weight training and
running, they largely went away.  About ten years ago I separated from the
Air Force, and going to the gym and running were no longer a job
requirement.  Funny thing, 2-3 years later my back started bothering me
occasionally again, and there have been a few days when I couldn=B9t get off
the floor.  Now I=B9m taking a little better care of myself.  My point: find =
doctor or chiropractor that you trust and work with them.  Make a commitmen=
to strengthening your back to minimize the problems.  It will not get bette=
on its own, only worse.  I=B9m 48 and I intend on being active for another 40
years (or more).

Ken Z.

--=20
Ken Zahringer, RPT