[CAUT] Moving Pianos on Campus

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:32:19 -0600

Our piano moving budget is excessive, but that comes with not having an
official concert hall large enough for ensembles.  Any large event
requires special set up in either in the chapel or the main gym.  This
is not a circumstance we are proud of, but what can ya do.  We make it
work.  As a result, during concert season we are moving concert grands
back and forth on a weekly basis. Neither the Chapel nor Gym has any
climate control, so you can imagine, but the Chapel is currently under
major reconstruction for an impressive organ and climate system.  I
supervise these moves, mostly because the organizations office needs to
know which piano to move, but they usually do the paperwork. Only 2 or 3
people on campus are authorized to order piano moves, myself included,
due to some past problems.  Since this is a small town south of the
metro and the "real" movers (the ones I would recommend) are all located
in the north metro,  we have no choice but to contract household movers
from a town 20 miles away.  Over the years we have trained them into
piano work however, and it generally works, but at huge expense.  It is
what it is.

I have nothing at all to do with any organs.  Not my thing.  I do manage
the harpsichord and fortepiano however, and will usually suggest that
the concerned student or faculty who requires the move, help.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf.