[CAUT] M & H model 50

Aaron Bousel abousel@comcast.net
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:12:02 -0500

>So, I got back to this M&H and got to check out all the different theories.
KEY DIP: There's plenty. Anymore and there will be too much., so it's not that.
BUTT FELTS: They are a bit compacted, I tried fluffing one out, to
give it a bit more thickness temporarily just to see if that helped.
It did. Thanks Marcel! (See you in Rochester?)
Rechecked my original idea, that is, hammer pinning. There is
practically no resistance in the pinning. Repining with a normal
degree of resistance also helped, as did strengthening the hammer
return spring (but not too much). As much as I'd have liked to find a
smoking gun, it looks like one of those cases where small changes to
a few different areas will make the most difference- thicker butt
felts, correct hammer flange pinning, stronger return springs. For
the piano's owner, dental work had just trumped piano work so it will
likely be a few months before I actually do the work.

Thanks to all for the input.

Aaron

Aaron Bousel
Registered Piano Technician, Piano Technicians Guild
abousel@comcast.net
(413) 253-3846 (voice & fax)