[CAUT] Moving Pianos on Campus

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:26:04 -0600

At 10:34 AM 2/23/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>Conrad,
>
>How do you move harpsichords alone?  Inquiring minds want to know!
>
>Alan Eder

I have a special stick... ;-}

and several doorstops.

For moving the fortepiano. Within the building, no steps.  I have a 2x4
with shallow holes drilled at the spacing of the front legs (also has holes
for a couple instruments we no longer have...).  I clamp the 2x4 on a piano
dolly, lift the keyboard end, shove the dolly under and put the legs in the
holes. I then pick up the pointy end and back down the hallway.

Similar system for the one harpsichord, except that it has a stretcher
between the legs. All I do is put a folded moving blanket on the dolly and
put the stand stretcher on that. Pick up pointy end and back down the hall...

For solo cross-campus moves for the harpsichord, I put on the fitted cover
which has a rope tightening system and carrying straps. I shift the
instrument off the stand's locating pins, grab the keyboard end and turn it
upright onto the spine, on/in the padded cover, on the stand.  The stand
configuration is such that I can shift/pivot the pointy end off onto a
chair. I then lift the keyboard end and pivoting it on the pointy end, I
lower the case onto the dolly. Then I take the point off the chair and push
it around like a grand piano on it's side.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.