[CAUT] Moving Pianos on Campus

reggaepass@aol.com reggaepass@aol.com
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:06:34 -0500

Impressive!

Alan E.

-----Original Message-----
From: Conrad Hoffsommer <hoffsoco@luther.edu>
To: College and University Technicians <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:26:04 -0600
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Moving Pianos on Campus

   At 10:34 AM 2/23/2006 -0500, you wrote:
 >Conrad,
 >
 >How do you move harpsichords alone? Inquiring minds want to know!
 >
 >Alan Eder

 I have a special stick... ;-}

 and several doorstops.

  For moving the fortepiano. Within the building, no steps. I have a 2x4
with shallow holes drilled at the spacing of the front legs (also has
holes for a couple instruments we no longer have...). I clamp the 2x4
on a piano dolly, lift the keyboard end, shove the dolly under and put
the legs in the holes. I then pick up the pointy end and back down the
hallway.

  Similar system for the one harpsichord, except that it has a stretcher
between the legs. All I do is put a folded moving blanket on the dolly
and put the stand stretcher on that. Pick up pointy end and back down
the hall...

  For solo cross-campus moves for the harpsichord, I put on the fitted
cover which has a rope tightening system and carrying straps. I shift
the instrument off the stand's locating pins, grab the keyboard end and
turn it upright onto the spine, on/in the padded cover, on the stand.
The stand configuration is such that I can shift/pivot the pointy end
off onto a chair. I then lift the keyboard end and pivoting it on the
pointy end, I lower the case onto the dolly. Then I take the point off
the chair and push it around like a grand piano on it's side.

 Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
 1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

 - Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
 - Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.