[CAUT] Moving Pianos on Campus

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:28:11 EST

In a message dated 2/23/06 6:29:41 A.M. Central Standard Time,
rrg@unlv.nevada.edu writes:

I would like to know what other university techs  have done regarding piano
moves.  Because of liability reasons they are  not too enthusiastic about
getting students to do it.  The facilities  management people are not reliable and
can't be trusted  to show up on time.  The Faculty is certainly not interested
in  getting their hands dirty.  I have occasionally called in another outside
 tech but that is not always possible.  Unfortunately my Jedi skills  aren't
mastered well enough to move pianos using "The Force".  So... what  do YOU do?

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV.

Is this part of your job description? If not, I would not move pianos. I
look at this way, if I was a woman, I don't think the university would be asking
me to move pianos by myself. (Now, please, do not jump on me for being
sexist. I  realize there are some women who can do this, but for the most part, this
is not  the case.)

For moves on campus, I call the university movers. There are two trucks and
a van, with 8 people working for the university to move desks, tables, chairs,
 etc. I can call on them to move a piano. They use my equipment, but I
supervise  them, and they do all the heavy lifting. (What's so funny, is that even
though it only takes one truck and three men, all vehicles and all 8 men show
up  to move the piano.)

If the university doesn't have a moving crew, hire an outside moving
company. If the movers show up late, or not at all, blame it on them.  Perhaps if it
happens enough, someone higher up will so something about  it.

Wim