[CAUT] Moving Pianos on Campus

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:41:22 -0800 (PST)

I have my own moving crew made up of 2 strong men whom
I have trained.  My situation is a little different
since I am a contract technician.  However, I think it
would work for full time CAUT techs to find men who
would be available (my crew works a night shift and
are available for a few hours in the mornings).  Could
this crew then be considered as part-time employees of
the university and be covered under the workmen's
comp?

Or, as Wim has suggested, why not train members of the
maintenance crew for this task?  If the crew is
separate from the univ. and are subcontractors, then
the crew will need its own insurance of course.
Liability in terms of personal injury and piano
damage.    But, in hundreds of moves, we have had only
a two or three minor mishaps.

The right equipment makes such a difference.  The
piano horse has saved our backs and the pianos as
well.  Certain techniques can also eliminate heavy
lifting.

Bob Hull