[CAUT] Moving Pianos on Campus

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:50:15 -0700

On 2/22/06 10:31 AM, "Rob & Helen Goodale" <rrg@unlv.nevada.edu> wrote:

> After lifting and moving pianos for years my back has just about had it.
> Every so often it slips out of place and I find myself in pain for severa=
> days.  Recently I was required to move several pianos in a day and it jus=
> about did me in.  This morning I found myself stiff and unable to crawl o=
ut of
> bed.  The reality is that I can't continue doing this.  At age 40 I have =
> long way to go and I don't fancy ruining my back for the likes of ungrate=
ful
> university staff.

    Really, you ought to file an injury report. This is work related injury=
.
It should be documented, ASAP. Failure to do so will make it very difficult
to establish a definite connection (=B3they=B2 could allege pre-existing
condition). This definitely puts you in line for such things as workman=B9s
compensation (that=B9s why we pay those taxes, directly or indirectly), and
should serve to wake up the administration types to the liability danger
they are incurring allowing you to move pianos solo. They=B9re worried about
liability allowing students to help. Those worries should also apply to you=
.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico