[CAUT] Glenn Gould/Bach stuff

David Denison a440@optonline.net
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:32:19 -0500

An excerpt from page 77 of Franz Mohhr's My Life with the Great Pianists reads:

"...Like many of my clients, Gould was obsessive about the maintenance of his piano. I did my best to satisfy his demands. Over the years I earned his trust; he would not let anyone touch the piano but me. Regulating his Steinway was a challenge. He liked a very shallow touch-so shallow that it sometimes presented problems during performances or recording sessions. As a piano is played, the felt hammer head strikes the strings and then is steadied by the back-check. In Gould's case there was so little "after touch" that the hammer would sometimes dance between the strings and the back-check...."

 This may shed some light on the problem heard in the recording.  It's a terrific book and I came away with  insights from a renowned technician of the inner sanctum of some of the 20th century's greatest pianists.  Franz is actually a member of my PTG chapter but I have never seen him at a meeting in the 25+ years I've been a member.  I  did, however, hear him speak at a local Steinway outlet in my area while touring the country with Horowitz's piano. It was a wonderful!

David Denison, RPT

Long Island Nassau Chapter