[CAUT] Glenn Gould/Bach stuff

Robin Blankenship tunerdude@comcast.net
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 13:38:22 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0031_01C63A10.BEE1E1C0
Wonderful observations from lots of folks on this list. However, I don't =
recall seeing anyone mention just how extraordinarly precise and =
consistent Mr. Gould's technique would have to be in order to even =
approach playing an instrument so "tightly" regulated, let alone using =
it in performance or recording. This speaks volumes to me not only of =
Gould's passion and persistence but of his sheer mastery of the =
mechanics of playing the piano. =20

Just an observation, LOL.

Robin Blankenship
Matoaca, Virginia
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Denison=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2006 9:32 AM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Glenn Gould/Bach stuff

  An excerpt from page 77 of Franz Mohhr's My Life with the Great =
Pianists reads:

  "...Like many of my clients, Gould was obsessive about the maintenance =
of his piano. I did my best to satisfy his demands. Over the years I =
earned his trust; he would not let anyone touch the piano but me. =
Regulating his Steinway was a challenge. He liked a very shallow =
touch-so shallow that it sometimes presented problems during =
performances or recording sessions. As a piano is played, the felt =
hammer head strikes the strings and then is steadied by the back-check. =
In Gould's case there was so little "after touch" that the hammer would =
sometimes dance between the strings and the back-check...."

   This may shed some light on the problem heard in the recording.  It's =
a terrific book and I came away with  insights from a renowned =
technician of the inner sanctum of some of the 20th century's greatest =
pianists.  Franz is actually a member of my PTG chapter but I have never =
seen him at a meeting in the 25+ years I've been a member.  I  did, =
however, hear him speak at a local Steinway outlet in my area while =
touring the country with Horowitz's piano. It was a wonderful!

  David Denison, RPT

  Long Island Nassau Chapter

2/24/2006

------=_NextPart_000_0031_01C63A10.BEE1E1C0