[CAUT] Smoke Damage

Steve Snyder shsnyder@sover.net
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 07:29:17 -0500

Dear Friends,

Our church had a fire  and I need your advice on taking care of 2 pianos
that have smoke damage.

Here are the details:

Yamaha C3 grand which was covered with a heavy duty Madrid padded,quilted
vinyl cover. Wurlitzer studio which was uncovered. Neither piano appears to
have any heat or water damage, but there was a significant amount of smoke.
I briefly inspected the interior of the Yamaha and other than the smoke odor
I did not see any signs of damage. Insurance will cover any costs to clean
and restore both pianos as needed. A professional company has been hired to
clean the church.
My questions are:

1. Should the professional company be allowed to clean the piano cabinets
and remove the smoke odor from the instruments?

2.If not,how should I go about cleaning the pianos?

3. Should the pianos be moved and cleaned off site while the cleaning and
restoration of the church is being done?

Any advice is most welcome.  Thanks!

Regards,
Steve Snyder, RPT