[CAUT] capsizing / catstrophic action failure

Cramer@BrandonU.CA Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 05:10:30 +0000 (GMT)

I often encounter repetition springs strong enough to hurl
the hammer up out of check, but not strong enough to
support the hammer assembly while winking the jack tender:

Symptoms: The jack won't return under "test" conditions,
even with the rep. lever set much higher than tolerance.

Note: The back end of the lever "bobs" (Ed Foote started
the maritime metaphor!) up/down when you wink the jack.

After several discussions and experiments, I'd kind of
resolved loose repetition-flange pinning was the sole
culprit.

However, on two recent instruments (Yamaha/Steinway) it
was the hammer-flange pinning causing the problem.

In each case, both the hamnmer and rep-lever flanges were
in the 1g friction range, or less. Repinning the rep-
levers even to 7 or 8g slowed hammer-rise very little,
meaning the springs couldn't be strengthened much, and
didn't solve the support problem.

However, repinning the hammer flanges to 3-4grams, did.

Regarding Steinway, the loose pinning (currently 20% RH at
this particular venue), coupled with raising the hammer
line several mm (key-dip; a very skinny .400") brought
about the dread CAF on several notes. (see Eric's test)

I called David Kirkland at Steinway for help, and he had a
set of rest cushions on their way before I could spit out
the last digit of the instrument's serial number.

Thanks David!

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

PS Sometimes the traditional rep-spring strength-test is
indicating a loose center, not sufficient spring strength.
Try the hammer center first.

> >>"catastrophic action failure".
> >>
> >>I have a test for this that I call the "absolute test
for minimum action
> >>function" i.e. - will the note work?
> >>
> >>Play a note at a normal blow and after it checks,
lower it to rest
> >>position very slowly. Then give the note a sharp blow.
This will uncover
> >>a myriad of little problems which can result in non-
functionality.

> >>Eric Wolfley, RPT
> >>Head Piano Technician
> >>Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
> >>University of Cincinnati

incorrectly or used
> >>incorrectly, just seemed to fit the action condiition
formerly referred