[CAUT] capsizing / catstrophic action failure

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:01:16 -0600

> Regarding Steinway, the loose pinning (currently 20% RH at
> this particular venue), coupled with raising the hammer
> line several mm (key-dip; a very skinny .400") brought
> about the dread CAF on several notes. (see Eric's test)

Something I've been meaning to ask. New York Steinways, I
assume? 20%RH at 70° puts soundboards at 4.5%MC. That's at or
below (depending on who you talk to) what they were originally
dried down to for compression crowning with flat ribs. There
shouldn't be a lick of crown anywhere in these pianos in these
conditions, and they ought to be mostly killer octave and
sound thoroughly terrible right now. Do they?

Ron N