[CAUT] capsizing / catstrophic action failure

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:22:10 -0700

On Feb 28, 2006, at 11:01 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>> Regarding Steinway, the loose pinning (currently 20% RH at this
>> particular venue), coupled with raising the hammer line several mm
>> (key-dip; a very skinny .400") brought about the dread CAF on
>> several notes. (see Eric's test)
>
> Something I've been meaning to ask. New York Steinways, I assume?
> 20%RH at 70° puts soundboards at 4.5%MC. That's at or below
> (depending on who you talk to) what they were originally dried down
> to for compression crowning with flat ribs. There shouldn't be a
> lick of crown anywhere in these pianos in these conditions, and
> they ought to be mostly killer octave and sound thoroughly terrible
> right now. Do they?
>
> Ron N

Hi Ron,
	20% RH would be high around here at the moment. We're in the teens
and single digits. How do pianos sound? Just fine to my ear. Maybe my
ears have adapted, or the thin air and oxygen depletion has destroyed
certain parts of my brain over the years. I frankly don't find lack
of crown/DB all that noticeable. Or maybe it's that I am used to
approaching pianos in that condition and voice/regulate/whatnot
accordingly. I've never done piano work anywhere else, other than
training sessions.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico